Friday, February 6, 2009

"She's well aquainted with the touch of a velvet hand like a lizard on a window pane."

I don't know if it's just because I have been sick, but I am not feeling a creative mojo going on. We talked about great stuff in class but none of it truly struck a chord. I loved the conversation we had about women and their changing portrayal on television/in movies over the years, and I also really liked our conversation in class today. I thought it was interesting the connection that was made between Beatlemania and young women starting to "break" free from authority. *Sigh* I love The Beatles!! I was thinking about it and I totally would've been one of those screaming and crying girls. I think the transition they made as artists, and the transition we make from youth to adult is only natural. There was a question in class about whether or not the desire to be less trendy comes with age and knowledge and I think that it is completely down to the individual. You can choose to read the magazines and watch E! News' "Best and Worst Dressed List" and then compare yourself, or you can choose to not care what E! News says. I am 25 and have just now figured out who I am and what my sense of style is- a good mix of what is trendy and what I like. I do find it interesting that their are people in the media spotlight who are applauded for "going against the grain" and when someone more mainstream tries it they are knocked down. Basically the media is one fat contradiction that gives me a headache and John is my favorite. :)

2 comments:

Ben Paz said...

Hiya again. I've been slow in posting this week, my mojometer is in the "E" with the light on too. I was reading about Joan Baez, how her songs were about social issues, protesting wrongs of all kinds. Its been a bit of an uphill to get the vibe of these artists, and I've tried to listen to Bob Dylan, Baez, a bunch of other musicians of the same period to get in the right wavelength. But. I just skip forward, mostly. The social unrest, the inequality, the hurt of racism, the unfairness of gender discrimination, when taken as individual wrongs to right, I think are manageable. But taking them in one big horse-pill makes me kinda choke and just tune it out.
One point that stuck with me from class was that there's a great deal of truth in the paradigm-shifting effect of the Beatles. I mean, if the cops and the media all hated them, and it made you feel kinda cool to listen to something that was controversial, doesn't it follow that when the cops and the media united again against something like the Vietnam war, woman's rights, etc., the same feeling of kinship would develop between the participants of the demonstrations?

Trisha Arbuckle said...

I feel the same way about going against the grain. It is wonderful to be different!!! That is what really makes life soo much fun!!! I think that the Beatles had pretty good music and I can't believe that people were against them. Sometimes it is good to hear controversial points of view to strengthen your own ideas.