Friday, February 13, 2009

"The world is a vampire set to rage..."

The above title has become a catch phrase of mine over the last few years and I do use it frequently, mostly when life gets me down, or for those times when I feel like it best suits the situation. Our discussion in class this last week has made me think the phrase more then once.

Having open dialog is important but the more and more we look into the media the more disgusted I am. Like in class today when someone (Mckenna?) commented on risque ads in magazines- they ARE always there, but for numerous reasons we overlook them. It isn't until we actually stop and READ the ad that our opinion forms. I was especially offended by the ad depicting stick man with a gun to stick woman's head. My little bit of rage inside started to fire up! And guess what? The people behind that ad had accomplished their mission. Just to getting people to see and then have some sort of emotion over their ad will get people talking about it, which will get people to purchase or believe in what is being sold.
Does any one else think its a little twisted?


Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins coined "my" catch phrase, and as music and the love of it is an integral part of my life I thought I would share two videos from You Tube involving one of my musical heroes and my favorite Beatle, John Lennon. It ties perfectly into class, and while some might find what is being sung offensive and not so true any more in our part of the world, it certainly still applies in other nations. I really appreciate what John shares in the interview and to an extent I do agree. I also admire him for never apologizing for what he believes. Ben Lee who performs in the second video is another of my favorite artists and he has combined the message of Lennon's song with images beautifully.

Errin- I REALLY think you'll like both.

Watch. LISTEN. Reflect.
(And try to ignore Yoko in the back ;).





Video One: John and Yoko perform "Woman is the Nigger of the World."
Click Here:

Video Two: Ben Lee's take on "Woman" images and song.
Click Here:

No comments: