Friday, February 27, 2009

I wear clothes that fit- so rape me!


I am absolutely appalled at the idea that it is a woman's responsibility to prevent herself from being raped. Some of the comments made in class on Wednesday probably came off wrong, but that is what they sounded like to me. I don't care if a woman is a 36C and likes to wear clothes that hug her figure, or is an Afghani and wears a burka. A WOMAN SHOULD NEVER BE TO BLAME FOR GETTING BEAT OR RAPED. Men have a choice, and they could choose to resist that very thing that turns them into a predator.

When I was in 7th grade there was a serial rapist targeting young women in the Tacoma area- somewhat close to where I lived. He would stalk the ones he chose to rape and then leave them for dead (if it got that far). It went on for weeks and we were all on high alert. We had counseling sessions at school that trained us on basic things we could do to protect ourselves, and were also instructed not to go anywhere alone. My sister Sarah was in 10th grade and her friend Montana was particularly protective of her friends- they discussed plans of action at lunch and some of their guy friends even volunteered to meet them at bus stops if not drive them to school- Unfortunately the one time Montana was not with her boyfriend she was targeted, pulled into the bushes, and raped by that monster. Only 4 houses away from her own. There was nothing about Montana's choice of clothing or her attitude that got her raped. She was a modest yet trendy girl, she carried herself well, and you could tell she cared about hygiene. There is nothing different she could of done- he chose her because he chose her.

I recognize that there are women who do choose to "flaunt what they've got," who chose to do certain things for a living that are considered taboo- but does that even mean they deserve to be raped? Even men have started to become targets of rape by women. Explain that one.

5 comments:

Bailey said...

I can't even begin to say how much I agree with you. I think our posts this week were along the same lines, no woman should ever have to go through an experience like that...no matter where she is or what she wears.

*StEpHaNiE* said...

I agree with you 100 percent, you took the words right out of my mouth. A woman should not have to feel responsible for the thoughts that are going through a mans head, and having to prevent what they are thinking by changing the way they look. We as women are better than that, and we deserve to be treated with respect no matter what were wearing.

tyson said...

Hey Brit~ I brought you a bottle of Diet Coke on Monday. That was what you wanted right? With Lime? haha
I got the same feeling in class that you did. It really bothered me. In my mind, there is nothing a woman could do to justify raping or beating her. I was shocked to hear some comments in class that made it seem that some women "have it coming." It makes no sense to me. I think making that assumption is degrading to men to some degree. To me it's saying that if a man sees a scantily-clad woman walking down the street, he literally has no control of his body and will do anything to have sex with that woman. I would like to think that I have a bit more self-control.
But obviously the real victims of damaging comments like that are the rape victims. No woman deserves to go through something like that, and I feel for those who have had to experience those horrors. People need to really think about what they're saying before they say it.

ASUMIN said...

I agree with you! Like you said, A women shoud never be to blame for getting beat or raped.I think a woman should not have to feel responsible for the thoughts that having to prevent what they are thinking.

Noble23 said...

I really enjoyed your blog. You brought up a great point. Obviously with that story that you shared, it doesn't matter what women wear for a man to make a decision on who they are going to rape. When I hear about rape it makes me disgusted and mad. People that rape should be punished badly. It is true that it's the person's decision and rapists probably just try to find some one that is alone just like that guy found your sister's friend.