Friday, April 17, 2009

Bam! Culture Jam!

This will be short but I hope it still counts as I have not missed ONE SINGLE BLOG and am not rushing to catch up... *ahem* :)

I realized today that in my own way I have been a "Culture Jammer" for awhile now. I may not be photo-shopping ads or changing products and then putting them back on the shelves, but I do have a habit of turning things around. By this I mean literally changing something from back to front, or covering it up if I don't agree with it, if I feel it is being shoved down my throat, or if it is propaganda.

I'll do it to magazines, books, movies- whatever! One time I was at Blockbuster and I turned a whole wall of movies over so that they weren't seen any longer. Go me! Ha ha. People stood around laughing and actually enjoyed the fact that someone was making a small statement. Anyway, I came to this realization tonight as I was turning books and mags over in Target... I love what this class has done to my thinking.

2 comments:

Jamin said...

Good on ya culture jammer! It's the little things that count right. I agree with you that I am glad for what this class has done to me. At the beginning of the semester I think I was a different person, but I feel like I've become more sensitive to a lot of things in the media. In a way it's made watching some things a lot more difficult. I can't watch a commercial without wanting to dissect it, but maybe that's good right! Have a great summer and keep it real!

Andrew Jones said...

I think that's awesome. I should take more initiative and do that myself with stuff that seems or looks inappropriate. Has anyone from the store, employees, ever noticed you doing it before? I think that whenever I walk into a store or movie place I either avoid the isle all together or close my eyes. It's interesting to hear or see what other people might do. This class has caused me to think more about what the media is doing to me as well. I think that I have noticed more what is going on around me. I have fun talking to people about what we talk about in class sometimes. I know I'll definitely have a different outlook on what Ads I see and they way the media portrays us as people. Keep on keeping on.