Thursday, April 2, 2009

And in other more important news...

Our class discussion on Wednesday was pretty interesting, but I got a little lost trying to tie talking about China's tradefree zones (?) and conditions in factories, into the media. The fact that we know that sweat shops and factories exist doesn't mean that we are being lead on by the media, and since advertising caters to us I guess I just didn't see the connection from where the conversation started to where it ended up. For now I pretty much assume that the clothes I buy are more likely than not coming from a sweat shop, but I would never knowingly buy something from a work factory.

While we were on the topic though I thought of two things- the first is that very morning on the news Japanese Honda Execs. announced that they were going to try and sell Honda (or portions of it) to American companies (so much for the better foreign car!), and second- the big news of the morning was Michelle Obama and what she would be wearing to meet the Queen of England. !?!!?! "Reporters" kept on saying how excited they were that she would be sporting American-made fashions, from American designers, then we had the discussion in class. . .

JCrew is apparently a big one on her list, and the more we kept talking about Gap and JCrew, Banana, etc. and how they aren't even manufactured in America, I wondered- does that mean she was really wearing American clothing?? This woman who (according to the media) was going to show Europeans that Americans have a sense of fashion and pride for local designers was I guess wearing the most American thing she could! Sweatshop-outsourced, made in China, product of USA clothing. Snaps for us!

Gosh I get so bored with the news media making things bigger then they need to be and glorifying things that don't need it. Michelle Obama is not Jackie O. and no one will ever be, despite the media trying to draw the comparisons. Sure Jackie didn't wear a hat during her visit with the Queen, and yes, Mrs. Obama did go sleeveless (*gasp*), but really? REALLY? This is the day's "Top Story" ?

2 comments:

Meg said...

Seriously. I'm totally with you on this one. The media is always trying to tell you what the important things are, the things you should be talking about or noticing. The First Lady's wardrobe is a top priority for news media. Sweat shops wont be. It would disrupt the system of production and consumption that our nation is comfortable with. Corporations are making their products cheaper than ever and pouring money into their branding, duping Americans into thinking that a brand will identify them and make them feel better about themselves and also that their products differ from other brands (even if the products were made in the same factory). You know they are never going to give that up. Look what happened with those reporters and Monsanto. If this had happened in another country, those reporters probably would have been worse than fired...

Kimmy Morley said...

I just think there is something wrong with our media when the news is about what the 1st lady is wearing. She looks great, but for me she needs to be a little bit more conservative in her dress.