Friday, March 27, 2009

Weekend Blaaahhhh-g

I really got into the subject of my group's presentation and I feel like 20 minutes wasn't even enough time to convey what I had learned. I mentioned in class that I don't feel like the lack of African American Oscar winners is a race-issue, but I did find it interesting how in the early days of the show white actors would win for playing a black character, but a black actor wouldn't win for being a black actor in black face. There is one year I read of when Liza Minnelli was nominated alongside 2 African American actresses and she won, although it is disputed that the African American actress' role was far better and should've won. Some critics said that because 2 African Americans were nominated they canceled each other out, automatically making Liza the winner. Another year one of the white composers (or director- I am in St. George and don't have my research with me) was nominated against a black man and he openly stated that his work was lesser then the black man's, and that if he won he would not accept the award. Sure enough he won and refused to accept it.

Race is such a difficult issue and one that definitley comes down to the indivivual and how they feel/perceive. However in the entertainment industry there is power that can create images and drive what we believe to be true. As with all the early stereotypes- fried chicken and watermelon, lazy, uneducated- there was some truth behind each one, but give them to a Hollywood director who crams them all into one film and there is an exaggerated image that people start to apply to every African American they know. One of the reasons blacks in the entertainment industry started making their own movies was because they were tired of going to the mainstream films and seeing their race portrayed how others would see them. They wanted to display an accurate portrayal of their people.

Interested topic- lots to learn-now I am off to the pool!

3 comments:

Bailey said...

That HAS to be true about Liza Minelli...she's a crazy. I thought your group presentation was great, and you're right! It felt like time flew by! I think just by learning and doing these kinds of presentations you're making a difference :)

Jamin said...

Your group presentation was great. I found the information about Blackfaces moving. I felt terrible afterward. How is it that we can just sweep things like that under the carpet and pretend that people haven't been hurt?

As for the Oscar stats I don't know how much to read into that. But, then again I'm not really into all the awards shows. My wife loves them, but I'd rather play Guitar Hero.

Anyway, I think we agree that race should be left out of considering who the winner should be. So, if we say that more Black people should win awards that seems to me to be focusing to much on race again. I guess my point is this... Sometimes we lump a whole bunch of different races and backgrounds into two groups- Whites and Blacks- when in reality every person sort of has their own culture. We have to look at individuals and their performance and not their race. You could just as easily ask why more Jewish people aren't winning Oscars, or Italians, or little people, or Native Americans, or [list your choice of group here]...

Still if there is something behind these numbers, if the decisions really are race based, then this is a real problem.

UVUKollegeStudnet said...

Liza Minelli always has that horrid shocked expression of someone who is about to get hit by an oncoming Semi Truck...

When I was a kid growing up...I was scared of two things...The Boogieman & Liza Minelli's career!

As for your presentation...Bravo...Im glad you brought up the Academy Awards Thing...

Overall, The presentation was great in the begining then I was starting to fade out because of the whole Watermelon & Fried Chicken comments...Yes, it was great addition, but I honestly felt like Dave Chapelle watching a few white indiviuals giggle and nudge eachother while the presenter talked about it......but as a whole your Oscars & Academy Awards info saved it for me...I just wish you could of had more time :)