I like to think that blond is a state of mind. Somewhere someone coined the term "blond moment" because I am sure some blond did something dumb! But in thinking about it my 2 best friends are as brunette as can be and can totally be more "blond" then I am! Sometimes I think one of them plays the role to ease tension or get away with murder- but she is no dumb. My other BFF (ha ha haaaaa) probably has blond moments because of her athletic nature- did I mention she is a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Judo and was undefeated in High School Wrestling in Washington State? NOT DUMB.
I too have "been both" and did notice a difference in the way people responded to me, and also the type of men that paid attention to me. I get cat-called all the time, but never experienced it more from my vehicle then when I had brown hair. Men like crazy would whistle or honk and holler at stops when I had my brown. With my blond hair on I get the uncomfortable stares and glances. I liked being a brunette, but in my heart (and genes) am blond. Patrons and that redneck maintenance man I mentioned call me "Blondi" and I like it.
Now for "Gingers": I will admitt that I totally didn't like my 4th grade best friend when I first saw her because of her red hair and freckles. I looked at her (in 4th grade!) and assumed she would be a total brat- prone to fits of rage and all. It is interesting that even so young, and in America, that stereotype spread. I'd actually heard of the English's taboo on red heads and find it interesting that Henry 8th was known for his flaming red hair, and his daughter with Anne Bolyen, Queen Elizabeth, inherited the red hair and is known as one of the best monarch's in England's history. Ya, I have a Tudors obsession. Although the "cursed" red hair came through her father, if it is true what they say that having a ginger mane is a sign that you had an adulterous mother- then perhaps Anne Boylen really did have an incestuous relationship with her brother. EeEwWwWwww!!!
So... You decide. Blond or Brunette? BUT CHOOSE WISELY OR YOU WILL DIE. Ha ha.


PS: Never color your hair so drastically because you are angry with your significant other. The box doesn't tell you how much hair you'll lose or how FRIED it will be when you decide to go back to your natural shade.


6 comments:
It's really a knee-jerk reaction that people have to make immediate assumptions based on appearance. Everybody does it. Humans love to find reasons to explain things, and on the flip side of that, propagate stereotypes.
Yeah it's got to be the weirdest thing when it comes to how people treat one another based off of hair color. I remember before I served my mission in South Africa I didn't like corn rows in hair. I guess I just didn't understand it. But the longer I lived in SA, the more I began to like it. I got used to seeing tight braided hair and how good it could look. I don't think corn rows look good on Caucasians. And it's a shame that blonds have been portrayed in a negative role. I guess we all just need to stop stereotyping and get over it. And that includes me. People have there lapses in personality no matter what color their hair is. And I'm not saying they are. dumb.
P.S.- The hair looks good either color. But my advice is to just go natural. And I have a blond friend who is a philosophy major and she is so smart when it comes to what she is studying. You can always have a good conversation with her.
I was completly shocked when girls commented saying they were treated differently. I have never colored my hair(I know a rare thing)and have never been treated poorly, too my knowledge, because of my blonde hair. I can't remember the last time I even heard a blonde joke. But maybe many of you will disagree with me, but I will say I think it is a state of mind, as well. And by that I mean, I think when girls color their hair blonde they act more ditzy, but those of us who are natually blonde don't act by the color of my hair (unless they coloring it to keep it blonde). If anything I act differently based on my mood or clothing. Sometimes I wear dark endgy clothes and other times I wear bows in my hair.
I am flattered that you enjoyed our group presentation, even though we probably offended most the class. But that was the point, to get us all to understand where comedy and offensive material meet, or even cross into each other. I have never treated women differently based on their hair color, that just doesn't make any sense to me. Women should be respected no matter their appearance, even though we all know that doesn't happen too often in society. By the way, the brunette hair looked great as well on ya.
You know, I have a friend who calls me a coconut. Brunette on the outside, blond on the inside.
And I think you make a beautimus blond and a beautimus brunette. So either way, my dear sister, you're purdy. :)
Post a Comment