Friday, January 23, 2009

She swam and she swam but to no avail, she'd never be a princess with a beautiful tail.

I am one of four girls in my family. Until my sister Rachel grew up and discovered Marvel and DC comics, all we watched of animated cartoons were Disney films. My sister Sarah was Sleeping Beauty, Diana was Cinderella until Belle came along, Rachel was also a Belle but more Mulan. When The Little Mermaid came out I was in 1st grade and I wanted to be Ariel! Everything about her world made me want to be "a part of her world." Her hair was long and flowing, she sang like an angel, her friends (fishes or not) were loyal, her prince was tall, dark, and handsome, and she could swim!

My family is made of swimmers. My father is an amazingly talented and well-known coach in the world of USA Swimming, my Uncle Robby was a gifted college athlete, and at the time The Little Mermaid came out my sister Sarah was beginning her club swimming career. I couldn't swim, and though I wanted to fit in with the rest of my family, my fear of drowning stopped me from learning. To feel better I would watch The Little Mermaid and imagine it was me zooming around tirelessly "under the sea." I was an outsider in my family because I couldn't swim, and Ariel was an outsider in her family for wanting to walk.

There came a point in my life where rather then Ariel I became more like Jasmine. Strong-willed and determined, in third grade I taught myself how to swim. I swam through the rest of elementary school and high school and despite having a lot of fun and good technique, I never had a talent for swimming fast like Ariel, Sarah, or Uncle Robby could. By senior year in high school however, I knew the difference between fantasy and reality, and although it would be wonderful if life were like a movie, there came a point when I knew how unrealistic the women in Disney's films are (although they have admirable qualities) and rather then hoping for their world to become mine, I accepted it as fantastic and magical. I grew up, I still fit in with my family, and I found my niche in coaching.


What Susan Douglas says about the women of power in Disney films and how their portrayal at the time may of discouraged women from seeking such power makes some sense, but I honestly cannot think of one woman that would watch those movies with such an analytical eye. I don't think any female now, or at the time, who is determined enough would stop pursuing her goals because the wicked witch with the apple goes from glam to hag at the height of her power. In today's world we see on shows like Dr. 90210 that if we do go hag there is a way to reverse it, so why even worry?

I don't want to close on a negative note- considering that Disney cartoons end with "happily ever after." Once I quit swimming competitively (bye bye Ariel) and gave in to the "power of love" to be a giddy girl with a boy (later Jasmine!) I saw an ad in the paper for a Halloween "prince" (Cornbelly's Corn Maze) in search of his Pumpkin Princess. What luck! Halloween is my favorite holiday, nobody appreciates a pumpkin better then I do, so I pursued my princess dream and the rest is history. . .

3 comments:

RON said...

Good blog Britt!! I liked the correlation between your life and Disney Princesses. I liked what you said about realizing the difference between reality and fantasy. I've been watching and reading a lot about the media portrayal of the innaugaration, and that sums up much of what I questioned. Basically, when the excitement and fantasy wear off, will reality fulfill expectations. Your reality turned out fine it seems, hopefully our country's will as well.

Austin said...

Very Astute! Your title says it best. The manufactured princeses of Disney are obviously fictious. I also liked your story about how you aren't only influenced by the media, even as a kid. I am glad that you also can recognize that modern Disney has far stronger female characters. You highlighted Jasmine, but there is also Pocahontas and Mulan.

And I agree with Ron. Fantasy wears off and kids are smart enough too understand that

UVUKollegeStudnet said...

Ha that was awesome...I love this blog most of all...

Austin is correct in saying the title best describes your blog...

There was a movement after The Little Mermaid, to make stronger female characters...We learned about that, while I was a Manager Intern at Disney World...

There are several classes on the history of Disney that we had to take...I forgot what they called this specific class I learned this from, because its been over 5 years now...but we had to know every single nook and cranny about Disney characters, their evolution in stories and outcomes from Snow White-to-Lilo & Stitch (my internship ended in 2003 and that was the last Disney film then)...

ha Im not a Disney film fan...dont get me wrong, but the whole fantasy thing is awesome,however its just make-believe